The City of Big Bear Lake, County of San Bernardino and Big Bear Valley Trails Foundation are proud to announce that the three partners have been awarded a $233,370 grant from the Caltrans Department of Transportation (Caltrans) for the development of the Big Bear Valley Pedestrian, Bicycle and Equestrian Master Plan. The funds will be used to develop a plan that will guide and enable future development of road and trail resources across our Valley floor with connections to lake and mountain amenities. The process will include extensive community involvement to collect visions and identify community needs valley-wide. The plan will integrate land use, transportation, and economic development goals and will direct the construction of new bike lanes, sidewalks, non-motorized trails, trail heads, and other related amenities.
MASTER PLAN OBJECTIVE
Produce a document that will:
- List and prioritize pedestrian, bicycle, and equestrian projects to develop or enhance:
- Pedestrian and bicycle paths on the Valley floor with connections to the National Forest,
- Access to transportation and outdoor amenities for underserved communities,
- Resources for active and healthy lifestyles,
- Economic development for recreation, adventure sports, and high-altitude training, and
- Stewardship of natural resources including habitat conservation.
- Direct City staff and partners with a clear and achievable Implementation Strategy, and
- Make the partners eligible for future grants to construct pedestrian, bicycle, and equestrian paths.
Public involvement is critical to developing the Big Bear Valley Pedestrian, Bicycle, and Equestrian Master Plan. Therefore, the proposed Scope of Work begins with the formation of a Stakeholder Advisory Committee, which will include members with deep community ties. The Scope of Work also includes out-of- the-box public participation methods including:
- A “Complete the Street” art contest for local youth and adults,
- Field activities that attract community members diverse with respect to age, ethnicity, and ability,
- Community involvement in the data collection process,
- An interactive project website.
ROLE OF THE PARTNERS
City of Big Bear Lake – Project contracting, administration and management, public outreach, local cash match & in-kind services County of San Bernardino – Local cash match & participation at technical advisory & public meetings Big Bear Valley Trails Foundation – Public outreach including chairing the stakeholder advisory committee, assistance with field activities, & assistance with the art contest Consultant (TBD) – Data collection & analysis, Public Workshops, Master Plan Development, and Project Web Site If would like to learn more about the Master Plan project or if you would like to participate on the Stakeholder Advisory Committee, please contact Associate Planner Siri Eggebraten at email@example.com, 909-866-5831, or stop by the Planning Counter in City (of Big Bear Lake) Hall.